Sick Baby

Kapiolani Hospital 2012

Some of you may or may not know that just three weeks after my sweet baby was born, we were back in the hospital. Except this time it was not for a routine check-up.

The night before we were admitted into Kapiolani Medical Center, Layla had a fever. I wasn't quite sure, since I have never experienced a sick newborn. However, Marcus had come down with an infection. And like most families who have children in school and have more than one child, that infection swept through our little, unsuspecting family like wild fire in a dry meadow.

Not knowing what to expect and with the encouragement of my pediatrician, I took Layla to the ER to simply get her 100.3 fever (which is very high for a newborn) checked out. I soon learned that all infants under 30 days old were admitted for a minimum of 48 hours. And since they are so young EVERY single, dang test is performed. Now that is something you can't really prep for. She drew blood, urine, spinal tap, x-rays and even had a baby IV inserted. Flushed with antibiotics and vitals every four hours, we were finally released and able to return home. 

We are finally recovering and doing well. One month down and I regret to say that I have not been able to do all of the exciting new born things with Layla. For a while the days were filled with doctor appointments, night medicines and isolation. And now, I finally get to sit on the couch and do nothing but hold my baby girl. You know, the "exciting" things like, where you sit and stare at your child all day long. I love it. 

Five weeks old now, Layla is getting strong and healthy. She is 11 lbs, and 25 inches long. She still has a lingering cough that breaks your heart every time you hear, but she is going to get through it!

Thank you to all of my friends and family who prayed for us and sent positive thoughts our way. Also, I cannot express enough how grateful I am to all of those who took the time to prepare a meal for my family. It  was a huge burden lifted, and not to mention delicious.

Also, thank you to my mom who took care of my boys and Rosa, my wonderful mother-in-law who unselfishly flew in from Seattle to take care of us. 
We love you both! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment